Saturday 17 November 2012

DIY Terrariums

I've been seeing pictures of gorgeous terrariums online, and am thinking of setting up one for myself. I don't have particularly green thumbs nor a lot of spare time to take care of plants, so a self-sustaining terrarium would be perfect for me.

'These miniature self contained mini greenhouses efficiently recycle moisture. The plants draw water from the soil which is released into the terrarium atmosphere by transpiration, condenses on the glass walls and returns to the soil. Occasional top ups are all that is needed to replace the small amount of water lost through the cap.' (via here)

(via here
 (via here
 (via here
 (via here)
(via here)


While looking at pictures of terrariums, I realised that I was looking more at the receptacles, rather than the plants inside. I'm naturally drawn to the ones with black borders and geometric shapes, and not the ones with all-clear glass. Maybe it's because the black borders and the stark angles add a little edge to the terrarium, providing a stronger focal point, making it a more unique home accessory. 

That being said, I'm guessing that it would be a lot harder to find the geometric glass containers... I've spotted a shop in Chinatown beside Sia Huat selling the clear glass containers with covers for around S$30, but none of them were really to my liking. If you know where to find glass containers like these, please let me know!

My future home (ready November 2014) will have a balcony, and I'll be decorating it with a hanging terrarium (my boyfriend doesn't know this yet). Fingers crossed that my balcony will not have too much direct sun, otherwise my hanging terrarium would be nothing more than sand and stone. 

 (via here)
 (via here)
(via here)

If you're keen on creating a terrarium yourself, check out these websites for tips and tricks:




And don't forget to include some fun additions to your terrarium, like these adorable toadstools! And send over pictures of your completed terrarium, I'd love to see them!


(via here)

0 comments:

Post a Comment